individual theories

View mindmap
  • Individualistic theories for criminality
    • Psychodynamic Theories
      • Freud
        • ID, Ego, Superego
          • superego- morality
          • ID- instinct
          • Ego- reality
        • strengths
          • highlights importance of early socialisation and family relationships in understanding criminal behaviour
          • these explanations had some influence on politics to try help deal with crime
        • weaknesses
          • unscientific and subjective- cant rely on accepting the claims of freud
          • cant understand the unconscious mind
    • Psychological Theories
      • Bowlby's - maternal deprivation
        • main caregiver needs to be present  for the first 2 years of a child's life else the child may suffer long lasting effects
        • study - 44 juvenile delinquents compared to non criminal juveniles- 39% of delinquents had been separated compared to 5% in control group
        • strengths
          • research support
          • proves parent-child relationships need to be looked into for criminality
        • weaknesses
          • the study counts for 39% but what about the other 61%
          • he later studied 60 children separated < 5  and found no evidence of affectionless psychopathy


No comments have yet been made

Similar Criminology resources:

See all Criminology resources »See all theories of criminality resources »